I LOVE me some Philly Cheesesteak! And while I admit that I haven't been to either Pat's or Gino's in Philladeplpia, this slow cooker Cheese Steak Recipe is pretty incredible. And it's basically a dump recipe, which is my favorite kind. Just throw everything in the slow cooker. I wasn't actually able to make them for my family for dinner. I didn't have time, so it had to be done on a Sunday afternoon. They were done at about 3pm, and then I photographed them.
My 11-year-old son had 2 of friends over, though. They came in from playing outside and immediately said, “What is that smell??? I want that!” As soon as I finished taking photos, all 3 of the boys devoured the sandwiches, saying things like “oh my gosh this is so good.” So yeah… they're good.
Honestly, I think the slow cooker is the ideal way to make these (or the Instant Pot – that's what I use now). You don't want to use an expensive piece of meat for cheesesteaks. Use something cheap like a top round roast, or a london broil. While those cuts of beef are tough by themselves, they will be melt-in-your-mouth tender after they're done cooking. And there are 2 reasons for this.
First, when you slice the meat, you will want to cut against the grain. This eliminates any ‘stringyness' in the meat and will make it much more tender when you chew it.
Secondly, the slow cooker will just do its thing – braise the meat.
By the way – do you have my FREE slow cooker meal plan yet? Grab it right below:
Honestly, this slow cooker cheese steak recipe is REALLY easy.
Once the meat and vegetables are cut, you just put them all in the slow cooker or Instant Pot and turn it on. I add the Italian dressing packet because it really gives these a nice tangy flavor.
After they're done, scoop the meat into your rolls, top with cheese and then place them under the broiler for a few minutes. And then devour them!
But there's one more thing I should mention. I just couldn't help myself – you've got leftover liquid left… so I just had to dip my sandwich in it (French dip style). I highly recommend doing that. So good.
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. thinly sliced steak (I used top round)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 envelope dry Italian dressing mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- 6 hoagie rolls
- Place all the ingredients in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker (except for the cheese and rolls).
- Using pressure cooker setting, seal and cook for 40 minutes. Or cook for 4-8 hours in the slow cooker on low.
- Let in naturally depressurize for 10 minutes (Instant Pot only).
- Release the steam and open the Instant Pot (Instant Pot only).
- Scoop out the meat/veggies into the rolls.
- Place the rolls on a cookie sheet and top with a slice of cheese per sandwich (cut in half)
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Enjoy! And feel free to dip the sandwiches in the leftover juice.
Have you grabbed my freezer meal plans, yet? I might be biased but I think they are pretty amazing! They have saved our dinner hour for years now. Check them out!